AWA-Institute provides solutions for water treatment processes and offers individual support in process conception for your plant.
We perform reliable water and filter material analyses as a part of internal and external quality control.
We simulate water treatment on laboratory and pilot scale. Pilot plant equipment and mobile units are available for tests on-site.
You will benefit from our long-term experience and profound knowledge in all topics related to water. In direct contact with you we find the best solution for your water treatment.
Our full service package includes:
- Technical advice
- Qualified sampling
- Reliable analyses
- Comprehensive evaluation of the analytical results
- Recommendations for the optimisation of your water treatment plant
Our services in detail:
Drinking and raw water, swimming-pool water analyses
As an accredited laboratory, our institute carries out chemical and chemo-physical tests for the parameters listed in the international water regulations (e.g. drinking water ordinance, raw water ordinance). The scope of our services comprises the following parameter groups and analytical methods:
- General chemical and physical parameters
- Heavy metals
- Dissolved gases
- Organic sum parameters, for example adsorbable halogenated hydrocarbon (AOX), total organic carbon (TOC) etc.
- Organic trace compounds, for example pesticides, volatile organic carbon (VOC), polyaromatic hydrocarbon (PAK) etc.
Analytical methods :
- Chromatography (gas, liquid, ions) coupled with appropriate detectors e.g. mass spectrometry
- Atomic absorption spectrometry (flame, graphite tube, hydride technology)
- ICP-OES (Inductively Coupled Plasma -Optical Emission Spectrometry)
- Pyrolysis unit coupled with IR-spectrometry
- Flow injection systems
- Electro-chemical methods
Chemical and physical analyses for filter material
We offer chemical and physical testing for lime and dolomite type material as well as pumice, coal-based or catalytic reacting filter media used in water treatment.
The services we provide are:
- Depth-integrated sampling of filter materials from filter tanks
- Analysis of the chemical composition of filter material
- Analysis of the toxic components in filter material
- Analysis of the water-extractable toxic substances in filter media
- Analysis of the grain size distribution and bulk density of filter material
- Analysis of the mechanical stability of filter materials by comparative abrasion tests
- Investigation into the reactivity and functionality of filter material
Optimisation of application technology in water treatment
Our application technology department combines the analytical expertise of our laboratory with competent expert assessment and support.
The services we provide are:
- Function check of water treatment plants according to generally approved good engineering practice
- Optimisation of filter units to improve operational safety and efficiency
- Filtration tests to optimise iron, manganese and turbidity removal or de-acidification and hardening/remineralisation on a laboratory and pilot plant scale
- Filtration tests to analyse bed expansion and pressure loss
- Simulation of water purification processes on a laboratory scale
- Mixed water calculations according to technical rules
- Assessment of the corrosiveness of water according to EN 12502